Your browser does not support JavaScript!
Home > Degree Student > Work Permit
Work Permit

According to“Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers,”international students who wish to work either on campus or off campus must apply for and obtain the work permit before starting to work. Please note working without obtainging the work permit will be fined for NT$30,000 to NT$150,000!

Part-time work on campus includes:

1. part-time worker of administrative offices or teaching units

2. teaching assistants of teaching units

3. contract-based research assistants (not research scholarship recipient) of professors' research project

Work permit is valid for  6 months only; therefore, please apply for a new work permit every semester after you complete registration.   

Application Procedures:

  1. Read the steps or the manual of the Ministry of Labor.
  2. Pay the examination fee (NT$ 100) at the post office (application can be submitted one day after the fee is paid).
  3. Have the consent letter  or the proof signed by your advisor or department and scan it to PDF file.
  4. Bring the copy of student ID card (both sides) to the Academic Affairs Office for the official stamp. Then scan this certified copy. Or you can use the copy of your student ID card (without Academic Affairs Office's stamp) and the official enrollment certificate.  
  5. Fill in the online application form and upload all the required documents.
  6. Submit the application for examination .
  7. After your appication is approved by the Ministry of Labor, work permit will be sent to CIAC.

Required Documents: the following scanned files must be in PDF format. And please do not name your uploaded files too long or with any special symbols like #@$%^&*/-~ ...etc.

  1. Online Application Form: go to then select "Work Permit for Foreign Students". If you've never used the online application, please select "申請帳號" to create your own account name. 
  2. Scanned copy of your student ID card(certified by the Academic Affairs Office). Or the copy of your student ID card (without Academic Affairs Office's stamp) and the official enrollment certificate. 
  3. Scanned copy of examination fee receipt (NT$100): it takes one day for the system to process the remittance. Please submit the application online one day after the remittance is complete. 
  4. Scanned copy of valid passport (bio page)
  5. One of the following documents or special language ability prove document (any one of following documents is acceptable). For those foreign student who have special language ability, after getting permission from Ministry of Education, after enrolling for studying, can be exempt from the said document providing if he/she teaches as part-time foreign language teacher at the collage/university affiliated language center or foreign education institute affiliated language center in Taiwan.

          For undergraduate students:

    (5.1) Practical proof of financial difficulty in supporting living and study.

    (5.2) A proof from teaching or researching unit of the school where the said foreign student is enrolled is in need of his/her assistance and participation in teaching or researching work.

    (5.3) If the applicants need to do off-campus internship in relation to his or her studies, please submit a proof issued by the department/ graduate institute which gives the course.

            For graduate students: consent letter from the professor.

* Application will not be accepted if there is any missing document.

Other Regulations:

  1. The maximum validity of a work permit is six months.
  2. During the semester, the maximum work hours are 20 hours per week.
  3. Workforce Development Agency has the right to revoke the permit if the applicants do not follow the regulations.
  4. According to the“Regulations on the Permission and Administration of the Employment of Foreign Workers,” foreigners who work without a work permit will be fined from NT 30,000 to NT150,000. 
  5. Only degree students can apply for the student work permit. 
  6. For applications made in the first(fall) semester, the work permit is valid until March 31st of the second(spring) semester; for applications made in the second(spring) semester, the work permit is valid until September 30th of the same year.
  7. Students should return the work permit (if valid) to the Center for International Academic Cooperation if they suspend or discontinue their study.

For more details and regulations, please visit Workforce Development Agency.